Sunday, August 14, 2011

Don't Leave Home Without It


 We had gone out for a hamburger at our favorite Pick-Quick Drive In in Fife, WA.  We had ordered two Double ¼ Pounders with cheese and bacon, with chocolate and strawberry malts.  It was a busy day and the line was easily ten deep.  As I stood in line I noticed a young man and his wife with two small children in tow just coming up to the line.  After receiving my order I went over to one of the picnic benches to enjoy our meal.  I noticed the young man walking his children around the parking lot while his wife stood in line placing the order.  After a while I saw the man’s wife out looking for him and trying to tell him that they only had their credit card with them and Pick-Quick would only take cash.  The kids looked devastated as they started to leave.  I got up from my meal and hailed down the father.  I handed him a twenty dollar bill and exclaimed “Don’t leave home without it”, and told him to enjoy their meal.  As we were finishing up, the young man approached me, handed me back the twenty-dollar bill and said “Thank you, but we got some cash from the ATM.  But thank you, it meant a lot”.  Now there was a good deed, countered by another good deed. 

Life is good. 

G

No comments: