Monday, March 26, 2012

Please help

Over the weekend I went out to watch some of the AZ Centennial Day celebrations. I decided to take some movies of the Centennial Motorcycle Ride from Tempe to the capitol building in Phoenix and I wanted to watch from the Price Street overpass as the 5000 motorcycles passed under the bridge. It was awesome.

While I was there I was approached by a man dressed in army fatigues and a tight black T-shirt. I was a little intimidated by him at first, since I was the only one on the bridge at the time, and here comes this tough looking guy over to me. I surveyed him for a moment and decided "What the heck. I could probably take him if he starts any trouble".

As he approached he said "Hello. What's going on is some dignitary or famous person coming to town"? I told him about the motorcycles that would soon be coming, and we started to talk. He had recently been in the Air Force, been around the world twice, and he rattled off a whole pot full of air bases he had been stationed at, including Hill Field in UT and McCord in WA. He had been to Saudi and Iraq, plus a bunch of other places. He seemed likeable and well educated.

Soon the motorcycles started to drive by and I began to take movies with my camera. After about an hour I had seen all I wanted to, even though they would still be passing under the bridge for another hour. As I started to leave I noticed the Air Force guy standing at the off ramp of the freeway holding one of those hand-made cardboard signs. He impressed me, and I asked if I could take his picture. "Why yes" he exclaimed, as he snapped into a Parade Rest position. I could see that he was proud that he had had a chance to serve his country. Then I asked him if I could take a picture of the sign he  was holding.



He held up the sigh which read "Please help. Homeless Vet looking for work. If have work please inform. Not looking for hand outs - Need a hand up".

I know he wasn’t looking for a hand out, but I liked the fellow.  I gave him $20 and wished him well.  He had brightened my day, and at the same time brought home the realization that in this tough economy even our war veterans get left behind.


G

No comments: