Saturday, September 22, 2012

Warm Fuzzies


 

It was a Sunday not unlike any other Sunday, except that the news of our bishop Lee Van Komen’s eleven year old son Jared hung heavy over our heads.  Jared had been admitted into the hospital one week ago with internal bleeding.  At our sacrament meeting last Sunday we were informed that Jared had been in the Intensive Care Unit at our local hospital and had just undergone surgery.  It was still too early to know any information, but we were asked to keep him in our thoughts and prayers; no visitors please.

My wife and I had been the Van Komen home teachers a few years ago when Lee was the Ward Mission Leader.  We had watched the family grow both spiritually and physically; they are a wonderful family and the entire ward was excited when Brother Van Komen was called as bishop. 

After returning home from our Sunday meetings, I was listening to XM BYU Radio.  They were interviewing someone who mentioned one of President Monson’s conference talks, “A Birthday Wish Fulfilled”.  When asked what President Monson would like for a birthday present, he replied “Find someone who is having a hard time or is ill or lonely, and do something for him or her.” He then talked about “warm fuzzies” or good deeds done.   

President Monson received hundreds of letters from members of the Church telling him how they had fulfilled that birthday wish.  One Primary sent a large jar containing hundreds of “warm fuzzies,” each one representing an act of service performed during the year by one of the children.

As I was listening to the radio program I received a spiritual impression that I should give our bishop and his family some “warm fuzzies”. 

Since my retirement in 2000 I have been perfecting the art of baking bread.  My specialty is Grandpa Hyde’s Multi-Grain Bread (Best Bread Known to Man) which I make bi-weekly.  The recipe makes five loaves, so, following the prophets lead, I have been giving three of the loaves to some of the widows and needy in my neighborhood.  That day I felt strongly that since we had been asked not to visit the family at the hospital, I would make them some bread and deliver it to their home.  Knowing it was Sunday I rationalized that even though I would have to make the bread on a Sunday it could be counted as “visiting the sick and needy”.

As I was making the bread, I reflected on the joy I have received over the years of making bread and then giving away most of it.   My bread is made with love, and it is given with love.  At various times I have invited relatives, youth and ward members over to help me mix and bake the bread.  It is always a wonderful time for instruction, bonding and fellowship. 

As the fresh baked bread was cooling from the oven, I could not help but think that this bread was indeed a batch of “warm fuzzies”.  I was getting emotional just thinking of how the Van Komen family would receive their gift.  Tomorrow would be Monday, and with five school age children to feed, the bread would certainly make some mighty fine sandwiches for their lunches.

It was 7:30 p.m. before we could bundle up two of the still hot loaves of bread and deliver them to the bishop and his family.  Upon arriving at their home our hearts fell when we found the house dark; could they all still be at the hospital?  I rang the bell, and then knocked, but no answer.  Just as we were turning to leave, the door opened and Sister Van Komen appeared.  Our visit was brief; an update about how Jared was doing, better, a hug and then a sincere thank you.  After a teary goodbye, my wife and I returned home.  On the way we discussed what a great day it had been; we were filled with the spirit of giving, and touched deeply by a “warm fuzzy”.

 


 

 

 

No comments: